Our revived weekly update continues with a slight tweak to the format. We’re now incorporating web & tech events alongside upcoming meetups & WordCamps.
Also this week: Our presentation meetups revive in September, but we need speakers; WordPress 4.9.8 is on the horizon, inching us closer to 5.0 and the new editor; more developer guides to Gutenberg are coming out; and Chrome 68 introduces the new Not Secure warning on HTTP websites.
For extra goodies: We’re sharing some thoughtful reads about online culture, plus resources for WordPress users, designers, and developers.
Like what you see? Have something to add in our next update? Drop a comment below, or get in touch.
Jump to a section:
Upcoming Meetups & Events
Local WordPress meetups
- West End: Users’ Choice – Wednesday, August 15th
- North End: Fix Your Site – Monday, August 20th
- Central: September, date TBD (see “Help Wanted” below)
Friends of WPToronto
Upcoming web & tech events
- General Assembly: Intro to HTML & CSS – August 7th
- Kids Learning Code: Digital Design Camp – August 13th
- Digital Lit (literacy + coding skills for teens) – August 13th
- Ladies Learning Code: HTML & CSS for Beginners – August 18th
- Girls Learning Code: Summer Webmaking Camp – August 20th
- HTML & CSS for beginners (Toronto Public Library) – August 30th
- WordCamp for Publishers: Chicago, IL (August 8-10)
- WordCamp Niagara 2018: Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (August 11)
- WordCamp Montreal 2018 (August 11-12)
Check out the full listing of upcoming WordCamps happening around the world.
Looking for WordPress help? Let us know and we’ll add you to our next update.
- We’re looking for volunteers
If you’re interested in hosting, organizing, or speaking at a future WordPress meetup, please join our volunteer mailing list. It’s a great way to give back to the WordPress community.
- We’re looking for presenters
Our presentation-focused meetups, formerly known as WordPress Weekend, will reboot in September as a weekday evening series. As long as your idea is connected to WordPress, chances are it’s a fit. Interested? Get in touch and let us know what you’re interested in presenting.
- WordCamp Rochester is looking for speakers
#WCROC is taking place on October 13th this year. It’s a short roadtrip south of the border. Check out their call for speakers announcement for more details. Submissions close on August 20th.
A quick roundup of trending WordPress and WordPress-related news from the past week.
- Chrome 68 arrives with the new Not Secure warning on HTTP sites
- WordPress 4.9.8 RC2 is now available for testing
- For devs: Registering metadata in 4.9.8
- For devs: WordPress Coding Standards hits version 1.0 release
- For devs: How to convert shortcodes to Gutenberg blocks
- WooSesh virtual WooCommerce conference coming in October
Interesting articles, tools, and resources from around the web.
- VIDEO: Customization in a post-Gutenberg world
- Gutenberg team panel discussion at WordCamp Europe
- How hobbyist websites restore our faith in the web
- For devs: How to build custom Gutenberg blocks
- For designers: Designing for small screens
- Your body text is too small: why website text should be bigger
- How to run a WordPress security audit
- How to deeplink to social media posts in apps
- A checklist for registration forms on mobile
- Wappalyzer: Determine what technology a website is running
- How to improve your site’s SEO in a few minutes every day
That’s it for this week. Press on!
Featured image credit: Semevent via Pixabay