This post recaps some of the exchanges and tips from the Let’s Fix Your WordPress Site, 2020-06-16 | WPTO Meetup. This was our fourth online session using Zoom.
These notes are in 2 parts. The first are notes taken during the session and then cleaned up. They cover some of the discussion and make the video more useful. The second part of this post is the chat transcript with light editing of the URLs in particular.
This was an atypical session in that most of the discussion was about developing WordPress websites and not on specific sites and their problems and issues. Alex added notes to this first part on some of the topics discussed.
The requests for help were made in the event page’s comments and in Zoom’s chat messages and discussed more or less in chronological order.
The session started at 6:30 and ended at 8:30.
The next session is Let’s Fix Your WordPress Site, 2020-07-21 | WPTO Meetup.
The WordPress Toronto Meetup groups is sponsored by Weglot and the Canadian Management Consoritum.
Below is a short video describing Weglot, the fastest and most flexible ways to translate your website. And here’s a short demo.
Want to try Weglot? 15% off just for WordPress Toronto members.
In today’s session, we covered a wide ranging array of topics including:
- getting going with WordPress after you install from cPanel
- setting up WooCommerce
- setting up chat windows in Facebook and WhatsApp
- calendar booking and event registration plugins
- the value of SEO and creating human friendly content, generating quality backlinks from social media and other sites
- shared some websites and profiles from members in the meetup
- 00:11:46 Amy Zwaigenbaum: Yeah this is my first Meet-Up with this group too. I have a HostPapa site and I’m trying to make an corporate site that allows businesses to book and prepay for team building Murder Mystery Events. I’m not sure how to do it.
- 00:13:27 Dan Stramer: Welcome Amy!
- 00:15:30 Quest-4-Knowledge Inc.: Hello Dan
- 00:19:45 Quest-4-Knowledge Inc.: I also teach English in China over the internet and English is the Universal language of business.
- 00:22:04 Azhar Laher: Dan, I have been exploring teaching online. Can you recommend an organization to get started?
- 00:23:00 Quest-4-Knowledge Inc.: I’ve worked with VIPKid.com for over 5 years online.
- 00:25:19 kapil gupta: Hi, I have 3 years of experience at inventivecafe.com you can mail your query at firstname.lastname@example.org for any wordpress or hosting query
- 00:31:16 kapil gupta: You can use elementor page builder it is best free of cost available plugin. mainly the layout depends upon your theme and its css. you can change row background or make the box border to round or sharp using custom css.. you can specify what product you want to showcase based on category or tags… please let me know anything else you need to know
- 00:39:15 xheightmedia: Hi Everyone, thanks to those who offered suggestions to help me out. As mentioned I would like 1-on -1 assistance tomorrow (essentially just answer my questions over zoom..I will screenshare to make it easier). Quest
- 00:40:06 Alex Sirota: @xheightmedia please share your contact info
- 00:40:38 xheightmedia: (yes sorry Alex, I hit “Enter” before I was finished…still typing:)
- 00:44:38 JP Habaradas: I used to worry about making my posts SEO friendly but now I just try to make my posts human friendly.
- 00:45:29 xheightmedia: Quest-4-knowledge and Kapi, it looks as though either of you have offered to help? Thank you! I guess whomever is able to confirm their availability first (tomorrow, Wed. June 17 — excluding 12:30-1:30pm, just let me know what time works for you) I’ll proceed with that person. I should only need 2 hours of your time, and as mentioned, I would be willing to give you something for your time. I can be reached at email@example.com.
- 00:50:26 Alireza: I was wondering if you could refresh the page that we posted our questions my questions is over there. I’ll post it here as well: “I was wondering if you could get us through what is the best method of installing the Woocommerce on wordpress”
- 00:53:45 xheightmedia: Thanks Alireza, I think I saw your question when I first found this meet up group online! Unfortunately, though, I don’t need know how to install it, as it is already installed. My issues is not finding out how to change text, font, images, etc. ( I am using page builder..I’ve tried looking through Product Presentation element, and the Products plug in on the dash board…no luck
- 00:54:27 Dan – dmdesign.co.il: Calendly + Stripe: https://calendly.com/pages/integrations/stripe
- 00:56:00 Jacques Surveyer: Hers is a list of WP calendar plugins – a good sert -https://athemes.com/collections/best-event-calendar-plugins-for-wordpress/
- 00:57:54 Dan – dmdesign.co.il: this is costly, but probably does what you need: https://woocommerce.com/products/woocommerce-bookings/
- 00:58:04 JP Habaradas: you could also probably try searching for “appointment” or “booking” plugins then find one that can integrate a payment gateway.
- 01:00:20 Jacques Surveyer: Yes appointment and membership plugins provide calendars and patyment options
- 01:02:43 Alex Sirota: https://wordpress.org/plugins/quick-event-manager/ <- another event manager for @Amy
- 01:03:54 Alex Sirota: https://wordpress.org/plugins/quick-contact-form/ – here is the quick contact form manager
- 01:04:03 Nicole Hart: Mind Body Clinic, is a software for booking you can check out. Integrates on your website. Here’s an example: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/classic/mainclass?studioid=979&tg=&vt=&lvl=&stype=-7&view=week&trn=0&page=&catid=&prodid=&date=6%2f16%2f2020&classid=0&prodGroupId=&sSU=&optForwardingLink=&qParam=&justloggedin=&nLgIn=&pMode=0&loc=1mind body online
- 01:04:37 Nicole Hart: https://www.mindbodyonline.com/?ql=softwrfooter
- 01:05:23 Nicole Hart: Another example: https://www.makelemonade.ca/book-space
- 01:13:04 Alex Sirota: My company’s meeting link is powered by appointlet.com – www.newpathconsulting.com/alex.html — feel free to test it out
- 01:13:12 Alex Sirota: calendly.com is another booking app
- 01:18:47 kapil gupta: i would like to add that we provide free consultation one to one at inventivecafe, if you want us to develop your dream website we can
- 01:19:50 JP Habaradas: yes, same here. tried it on my mobile phone and when I tapped on the WhatsApp icon, it brought me to the WhatsApp website not the app. I’m using regular WhatsApp account.
- 01:21:45 kapil gupta: i think it is not configured properly
- 01:32:34 Quest-4-Knowledge Inc.: Please put these links in the chat.
- 01:36:55 Wayne Murphy: The log home goes through the roof = haha
- 01:39:45 kapil gupta: thanks for your time , it was great interacting with all of you, i need to go.. you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 01:43:04 Jim Courtney: Lynda.com is now Linkedin Learning.
- 01:46:55 Maria Penalosa: Hi, may I know if this is recorded? I am sorry, I was a bit late and missed a great portion of the meeting…
- 01:48:10 Jim Courtney: If you are on a PC you will see a flashing red dot beside Recording — top left corner
- 01:49:53 Maria Penalosa: May I know how I could access the recording?
- 01:51:23 Qais Maash: You can add Ubersuggest extension and will give you an idea about the search volume for the keywords you searching for
- 01:52:38 Maria Penalosa: Thank you very much, Sir.
- 01:52:48 Alireza: It is an amazing meeting. Thank you Alex for putting this on. I am a Front End Developer. In case anyone wanted to get connected with me here is my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alireza-tayari
- 01:53:44 Quest-4-Knowledge Inc.: Thank you very much everyone for your help. I’m on LinkedIn. Bye
- 01:54:02 Nicole Hart: Started doing websites for non profit organizations and social service agencies. My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicole-hart-8982a199/
- 01:54:14 Qais Maash: Thanks for this meeting
- 01:55:30 xheightmedia: Self-employed graphic designer at X Height Media! www.xhm.theareax.com We offer print and digital graphic design services.
- 01:55:41 JP Habaradas: WordCamp Denver is coming up
- 01:55:46 xheightmedia: http://www.xhm.theareax.com
- 01:55:58 Qais Maash: https://www.linkedin.com/in/qaismaash/
- 01:55:58 Nicole Hart: My websites too: www.supernovasites.com
- 01:56:10 Nicole Hart: www.nicolechart.com <-art
- 01:56:26 xheightmedia: Thanks Alex 🙂
- 01:58:04 JP Habaradas: I run a tech blog at https://jaypeeonline.net
- 01:58:42 xheightmedia: Thanks, I learned a lot. I primarily use Adobe creative suite, and have used Wix, Weebly, Nationbuilder, and Squarespace. WordPress is a challenge for me, so glad to have picked up a few tips today, and look forward to connecting with Kapil!
- 01:58:42 JP Habaradas: visiting everyone’s blogs/websites later 😀
- 01:59:17 JP Habaradas: Slack is a great app
- 02:00:50 JP Habaradas: @Nicole – very nice site
- 02:01:14 Nicole Hart: Thank you 🙂
- 02:02:40 JP Habaradas: @Alex & @Dan – Thank you for having me and it was greet meeting everyone. Looking to see you all on the next meeting. Stay safe!
That’s it for this month’s Meetup notes and chat transcript.
The next is another online session, Let’s Fix Your WordPress Site, 2020-07-21 | WPTO Meetup. RSVP and post your question or request.
Robin Macrae (LinkedIn)